The Ganses (or Bugnes) of Nice Carnival
Amidst the vibrant buzz of the Nice Carnival, amid names like bugnes, merveilles, oreillettes, and various appellations for these festive pastries, it's easy to get lost. Yet, nestled within this culinary diversity lies the 'ganses,' the authentic treasure of Nice.
The Carnival presents a perfect opportunity to stay at the Hôtel Masséna for a winter escapade. Just steps away from Place Masséna, amidst the festivities, our team awaits, offering a colorful welcome with costumes and surprises. But before diving into this carnival adventure, let's explore together the delightful recipe of the Nice Carnival's Ganses.
|BOOK YOUR STAY FOR NICE CARNIVAL
The Ganses: Beignets of the Nice Carnival
The Ganses of Nice, or 'li gansa nissardi', are delightful pastries belonging to the beignet family, an essential specialty of the County of Nice. They stand among the two culinary specialties unique to the Carnival, alongside the famous Swiss chard pie ("Tourte de blettes"). Their uniqueness? They incorporate Menton lemon in their recipe and are fried in olive oil, setting them apart from other variations of bugnes.
The Carnival's Ganses and the King's float 2023 - Credit Summer Hotels
The Recipe for the Nice Carnival's Ganses
Ingredients : (for approximately 8 servings)
- 250g flour
- 50g powdered ugar
- 2 eggs
- 80g softened butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Icing sugar
- Olive oil for frying
- Zest of Menton lemon
- Combine in a bowl the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, diced softened butter, and previously beaten eggs.
- Knead the dough until it forms a smooth, flexible ball. Let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature, covered with a clean cloth.
- Divide the dough ball into 3 portions for easier rolling. Roll it out thinly on a floured surface.
- Cut strips, then diamonds, and shape the ganses by folding the ends towards the center.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the ganses until they turn golden. Remove and drain them on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle generously with icing sugar before enjoying. Bouòn apetit !
The Ganses of the Nice Carnival are more than just pastries - they embody the very essence of festivity and Niçoise culinary tradition. Try this recipe to immerse yourself in the magic of the Carnival, where each bite transports you into the heart of this emblematic celebration. For a complete experience, the detailed carnival program is accessible on the official website, allowing you to organize your stay. And remember, during your time in Nice, Hôtel Masséna welcomes you with open arms to fully embrace these unforgettable festivities.